Thursday, September 23, 2010

Tokyo-Tough

I came to Tokyo expecting hard work and little time.  I definitely got both.  Sorry for the lack of posts, but the first couple of months here have brought a mountain of work and it seems that time moves even faster than normal.

I'm accustomed to the workload now -- I actually got sick the first couple of weeks here.  I've learned to adjust myself to the expectations of the company and at the same time adjust my expectations of myself.

The summer has been actually the hottest summer in Japan for a long time.  Temperatures consistently reached over 40 celsius (with humidex) for weeks on end.  Walking to and from work felt like swimming in a really warm pool.  Planning for shade as well as for energy-conservation became second-nature.

It seems like I'm getting the hang of life here, now.  Work's not stressing me out so much, the weather is cooling down and I'm getting used the language little-by-little.

I've been itching to take some cool shots of the city, but unfortunately, my 50D is just too big to carry around.  Again: energy-conservation.  So I've been thinking of heading down the micro 4/3rds route, as those cameras have almost the same quality photos as bigger dSLR's, have interchangeable lenses and the bodies are much more compact.  Regardless of new camera or not, I'll be posting some more pics soon.

Sorry for the huge gap between posts.  I'll be writing more regularly.

2 comments:

LOBOT said...

Glad to hear you're getting into the swing of things and feeling better!

If you can, grab me a shot of the statue of Hachiko the dog that's outside of Shibuya (?) train station.

Word!

Rex said...

Yep, I'll take a shot when I next visit Shibuya in the daytime. The service-robots are pretty friendly, so I can ask one to take a shot of the statue with me in it.