Saturday, April 16, 2011

Cherry Blossoms

Cherry blossom-watching (or Hanami) is very popular amongst Japanese people.  When I first heard about it, I didn't really understand how an event could be focused around merely eating under a tree.  

After experiencing my first hanami today, I still don't really get it.

I suppose the cherry blossoms are pretty and the weather is getting nicer, but I think I'm missing something.  It's probably the fact that we are a week late in viewing the blossoms -- apparently, the trees were absolutely covered with them last weekend.  The window of opportunity to do hanami is quite narrow, I'm learning.  Anyways, Akiko and I bought some sandwiches and onigiri and headed over to the local river where there are lot of cherry trees lining the banks.

I also used this opportunity to test out my newly-acquired wide-angle adapter.  Yeah, I'm a nerd.

Check the pics below.

Nakameguro river

Hrm.  Maybe there is more beauty than I first thought.

A reminder that we were too late to see these in trees.  Fiddle-sticks.

Okay, a nice pedestrian pathway, nice trees, yadda-yadda.  I'm just going to be a nerd here and start talking about this lens adapter I just got: it's noticeably wider, which is great.  However, on shots where the focus is pretty much infinity, there is some insane chromatic-abberation on the edges.  Check the upper-part of the photo at the leaves and you'll see what I mean.

Same CA problems here.

Most sandwiches sold in Japan have the crust removed.  Just like how mom made them.

Allergy-machines.  I secretly despise them.  Just kidding.
As for the adapter, I've seen some images of it twisted onto a 14mm and it showed similar soft-focus and CA on the edges.  No biggie: the shots with thick bokeh look good and at least I can capture more in a single frame now.

I have some photos of our trip to Kyushu to post up soon.  Stay tuned!

2 comments:

LOBOT said...

That sandwich looks really good!

Rex said...

Sure, they look and taste good, but they're mere morsels compared to sandwiches in Canada.

Everything is miniature here...

Get ready to order twice as much to feel normal when you get here, George.